The Bank of England will publish a monetary policy summary on Thursday, June 16, at 14:00 MT time (GMT+3).
Strong US Retail Sales Pressed Gold
Information is not investment advice
What to know before trading today
- The US showed strong retail sales for August despite the spread of the Delta virus strain. As a result, the US dollar rocketed and gold dropped by 2286 points in half an hour after the release.
- Some pressure on stocks can be caused by the expires of options today, known as "quadruple witching."
- China's second-largest real-estate company, Evergrande, has huge financial troubles. The stock’s losses are weighing on sentiment in Asia. The Hang Seng Index is at its lows unseen since November 2020. Read more about Alibaba.
- Cryptocurrencies keep rising. Bitcoin is trading around $48,000.
- Crude oil pauses such a long rally. XBR/USD (Brent oil) is trading sideways near a significant resistance level of $75.00.
GBP/USD is moving inside the ascending channel. It has bounced off the support line at 1.3785. After a short pullback, it should continue edging higher. However, if it drops below 1.3785, it may fall to the lows of early September at 1.3750.
USD/JPY is moving up in the ascending channel as well. It has reversed up from the support line and has got closer to the significant resistance level of 110.00, which the pair may struggle to break on the first try. However, if it manages to cross it, the way up to the high of early September at 110.30.
Gold is trying to recover from yesterday’s losses. It may rise to the resistance level of $1780. The move above it will lead the metal to the 200-period moving average of $1790. Support levels are the recent low of $1750 and the lows of early August at $1725.
The Federal Reserve will make a statement regarding the future monetary policy on Wednesday, June 15, at 21:00 MT time (GMT+3).
The US PPI will come out on Thursday, May 12, at 15:30 MT time.
The US Markit will publish Flash Manufacturing and Flash Services PMIs (purchasing managers' indices) on June 23 at 16:45 GMT+3.
The Fed Chair Jerome Powell will testify on the Semi-Annual Monetary Policy Report before the House Financial Services Committee on June 22-23 at 17:00 GMT+3.
Canada will publish Retail Sales and Core Retail Sales on June 21 at 15:30 GMT+3.