Ichimoku Kinko Hyo CNH/JPY: The CNH/JPY pair is trading above the Kumo…
The US dollar suffers its worst month in a decade
Information is not investment advice
Ichimoku Kinko Hyo
USD/JPY: USD/JPY has just surpassed the Kumo, indicating strong bullish momentum.
XAU/USD: Gold reached the support level at 38.2% in today’s session. Further drop of the market will push prices lower towards the 50% of the Fibonacci retracement level.
US Market View
- Coronavirus: US cases jump by 67.000, US agrees to pay Sanofi and GSK 2.1 billion dollars for 100 million doses of coronavirus vaccine.
- The US dollar suffers its worst month in a decade.
- US private consumption was recovering in May and June but remained 6.5% below the pre-corona peak level in Feb.
- Canadian GDP (M/M) May: 4.5% (est. 3.5%; prev -11.6%)
- Canadian GDP (Y/Y) May: -13.8% (est -14.6%; prev -17.1%)
US Key Point
- EURUSD touched briefly the 1.1900 handle but was unable to stay above that level.
The first FOMC meeting comes after a buildup of anticipation from traders and investors alike, as the markets await what posture the Fed will take regarding the interest rates; would there be a hike or a cut in interest rates? Recall that the Federal Open Market Committee had previously ended the year 2022 with a 50bps hike, and an indication from Powell, the committee chairman, that the Fed could consider raising interest rates by 75bps in the course of the year 2023.
Western countries are trying to find other options for oil and gas supplies after a 10th package of sanctions, which will put more pressure on Russian oil and decrease global oil supply. Italy, for example, is in talks with Libya.
Last year was tough for the Japanese yen. USDJPY gained more than 30% over 2022, striking above 150 in October. While anticipation of slower Fed rate hikes pulled the pair below the 130 level at the start of 2023, the speculations over the destiny of BOJ’s yield control policy grabbed the attention of the Japanese assets in the middle of January. What lies ahead for traders of the Japanese yen?