Ichimoku Kinko Hyo CNH/JPY: The CNH/JPY pair is trading above the Kumo…
Cable falls to one-week low as pound slips
Information is not investment advice
Ichimoku Kinko Hyo
EUR/JPY: The pair is trading below the cloud. A downward pressure would lead the pair to exit further the cloud, confirming a bearish outlook.
XAU/USD: Gold facing a further strength the last hours and trading on the retracement area of 23.6%.
US Market View
Retail sales data for February will set the tone for the Federal Reserve’s two-day policy meeting that starts later. Industrial production and housing market data are also due.US retail sales were up 6.3% y/y in February despite the bad weather and a 17.4% drop in food services & drinking places. The Federal Reserve starts a two-day policy meeting against the backdrop of a market that seems, for now, to have finished repricing its inflation expectations. The 10yr Treasury yields is steady at just over 1.60%.
A third wave of Covid-19 infections is building in Europe, with Germany, France, Italy and the Benelux countries all reporting rising infections. The situation isn’t being helped by Europe’s ongoing efforts to sabotage its own vaccination program. A German decision to stop distributing the AstraZeneca-Oxford University vaccine on Monday led to France and Italy following suit. The Italian medicines regulator called it a political decision while the European Medicines Agency, which is responsible for declaring medical products safe, repeated its opinion that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh any risks.
Chinese President Xi Jinping reiterated the need for tighter regulation of the country’s Internet platform companies, stepping up a campaign that began late last year with the derailing of Ant Group’s IPO.
Crude oil prices continued to weaken ahead of U.S. inventory data later in the day from the American Petroleum Institute.
USA Key Point
- EURUSD rotates back between the 100- and 200-hours moving averages.
- US February advance retail sales -3.0% vs -0.5% expected.
- The CHF is the strongest and the GBP is the weakest.
- Fauci: No red flags on vaccine safety in the US thus far.
- Dollar pares advance as the push and pull continues ahead of the Fed tomorrow.
- Germany March ZEW survey current situation -61.0 vs -62.0 expected.
- COVID-19 no longer top market risk for the first time since February 2020 - BofA fund manager survey.
- ECB's Lane: We are not at the lower bound in terms of rates.
- Gold keeps steadier to start the week, but the Fed still holds the key for what comes next.
- European assets are taking the vaccine disturbance in stride, for now at least.
- AUD/USD nudges lower to test key near-term levels once again on firmer dollar.
The US dollar index has all chances of reaching the 2000s high of 120.00.
Many investors treated gold as a protection against inflation. However, last week, gold lost its major support and dropped despite rising inflation. Why did it act like this?
First, "ETH merge" Google requests are on the rise. At the same time, "buy ETH" requests are at their two-year lows, which is quite a negative factor ahead of the vast update. The community either doesn’t believe in the success, or they are following the "buy the rumors – sell the news" rule and waiting for the massive dump after the merge.